Ignite Our Potential!
Can you feel the electricity in the air in our Willowstone Academy/First Lutheran Church community?
It has been a whirlwind start to this school year. This year’s theme, “Ignite Our Potential” seems to be sparking something in our community that feels new and transformational! Conversations are igniting behind the scenes, shifting our students, staff, parents, and church members into a new way of being. It is an exciting time to be a part of our big community!
The evidence in our community is undeniable:
- We successfully completed our “Ignite our Community with Generous Love” campaign, raising 1.5 million dollars in 90 days to secure our property into the future.
- Our student population has grown another 20% this school year, adding incredible new families and expert educators to our school.
- Thanks to the generosity of Ford Canada, Kelowna Ford Lincoln, the Bradshaw family, our PTL, and our church and school families, we successfully raised $7,500 in a single day for our Willowstone Academy PTL.
- Our Grade 4 – 8 students collaborated with UBCO teacher candidates to critically and creatively dream, design, and present a prototype at our “Designing a Thriving Community” Educational Symposium on October 24th.
- With the help of over 40 community volunteers, we hosted our biggest Trunk or Treat in 6 years, welcoming over 400 children to our Halloween event.
- Our Grade 4 students collected 1,346 pairs of new socks to donate to local shelters.
- On November 2nd, we welcomed nationally-renowned sexual health expert, Saleema Noon, as our fall Table of Learning expert; sparking an essential conversation in our local parenting community about what it means to talk about sex with our children.
- We revised our reporting system to offer even more personalized feedback for each student, focusing on individual strengths and goals; shifting the focus of reporting to reflect learning as a process, rather than a finite point.
This all amongst the usual, incredible classroom explorations and learning that is happening each and every day at Willowstone Academy!
We look forward to celebrating our big community this Friday, November 17th from 5:30 – 8:00pm at the “Ignite Our Community Celebration”. Enjoy food, drink, and fun for the whole family!
Making Learning Visible,
Heather Sandager, Admissions Advisor