Preschool + Pre-K
Welcome to Willowstone Academy Preschool in kelowna!
Curiosity is our currency in the early years. Holding each child’s little hand, we capture imaginations through play. Each day we allow the child to lead and nurture independence. Confident children are curious, creative, and growing learners.
Bright, colourful classrooms are home to three different morning preschool programs:
- 2-day Preschool (Tuesday + Thursday)
- 3-day Preschool (Monday, Wednesday + Friday)
- 5-day Pre-Kindergarten (eligible children must turn 4 by December 31 of the school year)
- All preschool programs run from 8:40am to 11:40am on their specific days
A year-round childcare schedule with flexible options offers families a seamless full-day education and care solution.
Rich early childhood education themes full of books, discussion, hands-on activities, and exploration of sensory experiences provide opportunities to practice self-regulation, communication and cooperation in both the Preschool programs and the Pre-K program.
- Learning Through Play. By promoting and encouraging healthy play, the floodgates of curiosity and creativity open wide. We offer a variety of play including, but not limited to:
- Active play – gross motor activities and teacher-led phys ed activities
- Quiet and/or solitary play – beading, drawing, painting, play-dough
- Manipulative play – modified Montessori activities, puzzles, blocks
- Dramatic play – access to an ever-changing dress-up centre
- Creative play – music with our Willowstone Academy Music Specialist, sensory activities
- Focus on Literacy and Language. Throughout the school year, our preschoolers are led through a variety of specifically designed fine motor strengthening activities and pre-printing, colouring, and problem solving activities.
- Self-Regulation Learning. Children are taught the Zones of Regulation® curriculum, designed to foster self-regulation and emotional control; Social Thinking® by Michelle Garcia Winner; and Whole Body Listening ideologies.
- Learning Stories. Teachers send home a weekly snapshot of the engaging activities, special moment, and/or learning that each child participated in. This personalized communication is intended to create connection and initiate conversation between parent and child as they begin their lifelong journey of learning.
Daily outdoor activity promotes connection with nature and peers as young learners strengthen their self-regulating skills and practice social thinking through play. Our preschool play year offers the best of Kelowna’s mild, year-round climate.
"Student To Teacher Ratio Is A Huge Plus"
- Jeff (Harshad) Thomlinson
Entrepreneur and Yogi, Tandava Yoga
We chose Willowstone Academy primarily for the educational component because it was a perfect fit for our girls and the student to teacher ratio is a huge plus. Willowstone Academy is preparing our girls on lots of levels for what’s going to unfold, even to the extent of technology and the practicalities of living a life in the 21st century. The school is providing a number of components that we’re going to parallel in our relationship at home.
"My Son Comes Home Singing Every Day"
- Kurt Hagemeister
Willowstone Academy Parent
My son comes home singing every day. Chapel at Willowstone Academy is having a profound impact on our boys because it’s about community, connectedness and tradition. We were not particularly religious in our home but the lessons rooted in our faith that the boys take away from Chapel every week underscore our beliefs and most deeply held values. It’s become a treasured part of our boys weekly routine. We love the singing and conversations it inspires at home.
"IQ and Social Emotional Intelligence"
- Dr. Greg Wetterstrand
Associate Professor in Education, UBC Okanagan
Schools are being defined on an ever changing basis and a great deal of emphasis is placed on IQ, the intellect. Today, we have a much more balanced approach where IQ is really important but EQ, emotional intelligence, is also important. Having a social emotional intelligence, being able to relate to people and work in groups is essential for learners.